History


1580 Iidaka Danrin, an educational institution for priests of Nichiren Buddhism, was founded in Shimousa (Yokaichiba, Chiba).
1872 Iidaka Danrin was abolished, and Shukyoin was established in Nihon-enoki (Minato Ward, Tokyo).
1904 Nichiren Shu Daigakurin was established in Osaki (Shinagawa Ward, Tokyo) pursuant to the Specialized School Order.
1907 Nichiren Shu Daigakurin was renamed Nichiren Shu University.
1924 The Faculty of Letters, Preliminary course, and Graduate School were established pursuant to the University Order.
1947 Rissho Junior High School was established. The Department of Geography was added to the Faculty of Letters.
1948 Rissho High School was established.
1949 The now-renamed Rissho University was restructured pursuant to the School Education Law. The Faculty of Buddhist Studies and a new Faculty of Letters were established based on this law.
1950 The Faculty of Economics and a junior college were established. The Department of English Literature was added to the Faculty of Letters.
1951 Rissho University became Rissho Daigaku Gakuen when it converted from being an incorporated foundation to an incorporated school pursuant to the Private School Law. The Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology was established.
1967 The Faculty of Business Administration was established. The Kumagaya Campus opened.
1981 The Faculty of Law was established.
1988 The Graduate School of Economics was established.
1992 The renovation of the Osaki Campus, a 120th anniversary project, was completed.
1994 The Graduate School of Law was established.
1996 The Faculty of Social Welfare was established.
1998 The Graduate School of Business Administration and the Faculty of Geo-Environmental Science were established.
2000 The Graduate School of Social Welfare and Graduate School of Geo-Environmental Science were added to the graduate school.
2002 The university celebrated its 130th anniversary. The Faculty of Psychology was established.
2004 The Graduate School of Psychology was established.
2009 The renovation of the Kumagaya Campus was completed.
2011 The Department of Interpersonal and Social Psychology was established within the Faculty of Psychology.
2012 The Interpersonal and Social Psychology master's program was established as part of the Graduate School of Psychology.
The university celebrated its 140th anniversary.
2014 Osaki Campus was renamed to Shinagawa Campus.